Recipe by Parris Original
I finally found a moist light biscuit that I love and the rest of my family likes! The secret is to get whole wheat pastry flour. Use the high gluten pastry flour if you can.
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I used Xylitol, a natural sugar replacement)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1⁄2 cup soy flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in water and sugar set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients in order given; cut in shortening until the size of small Lima beans. Or use a Stand mixer with a pastry blade.
- Stir in buttermilk and yeast mixture.
- Cover bowl with towel and let sit until ready to use. (At least 2 hours, but it is fine if it sits for a couple hours.) Dough will be very sticky.
- Scrape out onto well floured board.
- Flip over and knead lightly (4-6 times).
- Roll out and cut with biscuit cutter.
- Place on greased pan and let raise slightly (10-30 minutes).
- Bake at 400 F until light brown, 10-12 minutes.