1/1 Photo of Whole Wheat Yeast Biscuits
3 hrs 12 mins
Parris Original's Note:
I finally found a moist light biscuit that I love and the rest of my family likes! The secret is to get whole wheat pastry flour. Use the high gluten pastry flour if you can.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I used Xylitol, a natural sugar replacement)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup soy flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1Dissolve yeast in water and sugar set aside.
- 2Mix dry ingredients in order given; cut in shortening until the size of small Lima beans. Or use a Stand mixer with a pastry blade.
- 3Stir in buttermilk and yeast mixture.
- 4Cover bowl with towel and let sit until ready to use. (At least 2 hours, but it is fine if it sits for a couple hours.) Dough will be very sticky.
- 5Scrape out onto well floured board.
- 6Flip over and knead lightly (4-6 times).
- 7Roll out and cut with biscuit cutter.
- 8Place on greased pan and let raise slightly (10-30 minutes).
- 9Bake at 400 F until light brown, 10-12 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Yeast Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.2
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.8 mg
- Sodium 299.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 4.8 g