Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Healthy Delicious Waffle's for any morning!
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup flax seed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries (or any fruit desired)
- 1.In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, ginger and Flax Seeds; set aside. Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature.
- 2.In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, oil vanilla and honey.
- 3.Mix fruit in dry mixture.
- 4.Pour the milk mixture into the flour/fruit mixture; mix lightly till nicely blended.
- 5.Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp.
Made this recipe this morning and was looking forward to a healthy breakfast, boy was I disappointed. Reading the recipe I was a little skeptical that there was no sugar or butter but figured that the olive oil and honey would fill the void, I was wrong. The finished batter was dry and thick and added about 3Tbsp of milk to thin it out. Right before adding the batter to the waffle iron we tasted the batter and talk about bland! The only flavor was baking soda. The final product needed more syrup and butter to give it some taste. My wife added strawberry jam to make it a tab more edible. If you're looking for a tasty waffle recipe skip this one.