Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Whole wheat waffle recipe that uses applesauce to sweeten and cut the oil.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In a separate glass or metal bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk, applesauce and oil and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined and moistened. Try not to over-mix or the waffle will have a tougher consistency.
- Cook the waffles to golden brown according to the instructions on your waffle maker. Mine tells me NOT to spray the plates with any cooking spray and my waffles still never stick. But I know some ask you to spray the plates with cooking spray, so be sure to check the manual.
These are VERY basic waffles. That said, the nutritionals on these are great, so I like that I can take this basic recipe and add things to it. Thanks.