1/2 Photos of Whole Wheat Tortillas
Little Mama Dia's Note:
This recipe is an adaptation of Tortillas de Harina. You can substitute any flour for some or all of the whole wheat. I have used half spelt or oatmeal; I even stirred in some nutritional seaweed flakes and flax seed. It takes a little practice to roll out even tortillas, but having funny hand-shaped ones are much more fun :) You may want to make a double or triple batch to save for later.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix flour, salt, and baking powder with your hand.
- 2Work oil into the flour mixture until crumbly (I use my hands, it's more fun!).
- 3Add warm water and let rest 5 minutes.
- 4Take a small portion and pat it in a ball. Roll flat like pie crust on a cutting board.
- 5On a VERY hot pan, cook until bubbles form. Flip and cook until raised bubbles are dark brown. These will cook very fast. It takes some practice to get your technique in time with rolling, cooking, flipping, rolling, cooking -- :) Watch for burning!
- 6Note: Yield depends on the size you make your tortillas.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.1
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 48.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g