Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
In the quest for healthy breakfast muffins that my fast food loving husband will eat, I adapted this recipe and really liked it. The muffins are really moist, not too sweet, and have the added benefit of whole wheat and fresh sweet potato. Update: I made this with shredded carrots, substituted apple sauce for the oil, and added dried fruit bits and it worked equally as well. Update 2: topped these with a combo of pecans, raw sugar, and dark chocolate... yummy!
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 59.14 ml non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 59.14 ml orange juice
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml whole wheat bread flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml salt
- 946.36 ml shredded raw sweet potatoes
- 118.29 ml chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put papers in large muffin pan for 12 muffins.
- Whisk together 1st seven ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix together the flours, baking powder, spices, salt, and sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients, gently mixing until the flour is absorbed. This will be a very thick batter.
- Drop the batter into the muffin papers using a cookie scoop. They should be full. Sprinkle tops with chopped pecans.
- Bake the muffins for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove muffins and cool on rack.
I used egg whites, and didn't use splenda just brown sugar and the muffins were tasty. Thank you so much