Recipe by Finneus Fudge
In the quest for healthy breakfast muffins that my fast food loving husband will eat, I adapted this recipe and really liked it. The muffins are really moist, not too sweet, and have the added benefit of whole wheat and fresh sweet potato. Update: I made this with shredded carrots, substituted apple sauce for the oil, and added dried fruit bits and it worked equally as well. Update 2: topped these with a combo of pecans, raw sugar, and dark chocolate... yummy!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1⁄4 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat bread flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded raw sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put papers in large muffin pan for 12 muffins.
- Whisk together 1st seven ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix together the flours, baking powder, spices, salt, and sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients, gently mixing until the flour is absorbed. This will be a very thick batter.
- Drop the batter into the muffin papers using a cookie scoop. They should be full. Sprinkle tops with chopped pecans.
- Bake the muffins for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove muffins and cool on rack.