Recipe by Ali Roux
This bread is refined sugar free and can be made vegan if using an egg alternative.
- 1 3⁄4 cups of sifted whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ginger
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup (can also use honey or agave syrup)
- 2 large eggs (or 2 flax eggs)
- 1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup of chopped walnuts (optional) or 1⁄3 cup pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 175°C Spray a 9x5 inch bread pan with cooking spray or rub with butter.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and thoroughly mix. Combine all wet ingredients (except potatoes) in a medium sized bowl. Add sweet potatoes to wet mixture and stir to mix. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine. Fold in nuts.
- Pour bread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before serving. Enjoy!