Prep time includes 30 minutes for chilling the dough.
Make and share this Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Mix sugar and butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Add milk, lemon rind, vanilla and egg; mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; mix well.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Mix the 2 Tbsp sugar with the cinnamon.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll in the cinnamon mixture.
- Place 2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Cool for 1 minute before removing from pan.
I used orange zest because I didn't have lemon. They were still wonderful. I also use ground flax as an egg substitute (due to food allergies) and they turned out great!
These were really good cookies! I am so happy to find a 100% whole wheat cookie recipe that my family will eat without question. I used white whole wheat flour, because of its milder flavor, and my hubby was so disappointed when the cookies were gone. A few comments I have is that I'm not sure I'd call them "sugar cookies", because of the spices involved, and the fact that cinnamon is included in the sugar coating (kinda like a snickerdoodle w/lemon flavor). Whatever you decide to call them, they are good. I know that these will be requested very soon, because whenever I can find one recipe that all 8 (yes, eight!) of us agree on, I know I've found a winner! Thanks so much!
Best sugar cookies ever. Very simple recipe. Followed ingredient list except the cinnamon. The nutmeg gives it a really nice flavor so it should not be left out. I did sub turbinado sugar for the regular sugar and I didnt use the full cup; I think it was more like close to 3/4 but not quite as I didnt want my daughter having too much sugar. She used cutters and rolled them out and cut them pretty much by herself. The texture is great; not cakey but not rock hard either; more like an inbetween chewey/soft texture. I liked that they were not too sweet but it didnt taste like I cut back on the sugar at all. We left some plain and covered some with sprinkles. Cannot imagine making a different recipe with this being much healthier. Thanks for sharing!