Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I wanted a fairly low calorie muffin for breakfast, so I threw this together. It works out to about 117 calories per muffin. You can use any jam for the filling, but if you're counting calories, remember to adjust the total! (the Kraft light double raspberry jam I used is 62 calories for the 6 tsp used)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 6 teaspoons light raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, Splenda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix canola oil, skim milk, and egg until smooth.
- Add dry mix to wet mix, stirring until just moistened.
- Fold chopped strawberries into batter.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners, and fill each muffin cup 1/2 full with batter.
- Put 1/2 a tsp of raspberry jam in center of each muffin cup, and top with more batter until cups are just over 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 to 24 minutes.
- Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
I though they were pretty good. The batter was so thick that it was hard to actually get the jam all covered and it came out the sides of all the muffins and made them pretty sticky and messy... but still good if you consider them a dessert:)
Great recipe! i made some small modifications to decrease calories. I used 1 cup all purpose & 1 cup of whole wheat flour, though. (makes the muffins a little less dense) I decreased the oil to 1/4 cup and subsituted 2 egg whites for the whole egg and eliminated the raspberry filling. I used my mini-muffin tin and baked at 350. I'll pass this recipe on to all my calorie conscious friends. Thanks!
These were really good. My 18 month old loved them as well as my picky husband. Great healthier muffin recipe! We stuck to recipe except for raspberry filling, we had a homemade strawberry rhubarb jam in the fridge so I used that and it was great!