Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Whole wheat pasta has a lower glycemic index and more fibre than regular pasta. Sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese over top, if desired. Source: Homemaker's Magazine
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 1⁄2 lb Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, about 8 minutes; stir in spinach until wilted. Reserving ½ cup (125 mL) cooking liquid, drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Fry garlic and hot pepper flakes (if using) for 30 seconds.
- Add walnuts, parsley and salt; fry until garlic is light golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add to pasta along with reserved cooking liquid; toss to coat.