1/4 Photos of Whole Wheat Sandwich Buns for Burgers, Hot Dogs and More
1 hr 20 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Perfect for making the buns for your favorite sandwiches a little more healthy while still remaining delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 1/2 ounces whole wheat flour or 12 1/2 ounces whole spelt flour
- 1 1/2 ounces vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk (110 degrees)
- beaten egg (optional)
- poppy seeds (optional) or sesame seeds (optional)
- 1Place the first 3 ingredients into an electric mixer and mix well (using the standard paddle).
- 2In a small bowl, dissolve honey into warm milk.
- 3Sprinkle the yeast over the top of the milk and allow to soften slightly before blending it in all the way.
- 4After the yeast becomes active and bubbly, add to the dry ingredients along with the cool melted butter.
- 5Using the the dough hook on your electric mixer, knead on the second speed level.
- 6After about 5 minutes of kneading, check to see if the dough consistency is correct (having come together into a smooth ball) add water if too dry, or flour if too wet, a little bit at a time until the correct consistency is reached.
- 7Continue kneading with mixer about 5 more minutes or until the dough appears smooth and strands of dough can be seen forming in it.
- 8Turn the dough out into a greased mixing bowl in a warm, draft-free area and allow to rest, covered with a towel, for 10-15 minutes.
- 9Sprinkle a flat baking sheet with coarse cornmeal.
- 10Divide dough into 8-10 pieces and roll out and form into desired shapes, tucking the seam beneath it and place the pieces onto the baking sheet.
- 11Place your baking sheet on the middle baking rack along with a small pan of boiling water and close the door.
- 12Allow the buns to rise for 20-25 minutes then empty the pan with the water and add more boiling water to it and put it back in the oven.
- 13Allow the buns to rise for another 20-25 minutes (about 45 minutes total).
- 14Take the dough out and set in a draft free area and raise your oven temperature ot 350°F While oven is heating brush buns with beaten egg and sprinkle tops with your choice of seed (optional).
- 15When the oven is heated, bake the buns for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Sandwich Buns for Burgers, Hot Dogs and More
Serving Size: 1 (802 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.4
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 9.1 mg
- Sodium 469.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 11.8 g