Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, by Carrie Vasios Mullins of Serious Eats. French butter cookies topped with Middle Eastern spice: a savory-sweet snack that would be great as an hors d'oeuvere with wine. See Za'atar or Zahtar - Spice Mix of Jordan, Syria, Lebanon for ingredients of Za-atar. More at http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/01/whole-wheat-sables-with-zaatar.html?ref=daily-title
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until just smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour, whole wheat flour, salt and milk, and mix until dough just comes together.
- Roll dough into a 1-inch wide log, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate one hour.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, make egg wash by beating egg with water.
- In another small bowl, put za'atar spice.
- Cut dough into 1/4-inch slices. Brush each with egg wash and then press lightly into za'atar blend.
- Place cookies on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until golden at the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes in pan, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.