It has a hearty flavor without being overly heavy or sour. I experimented with the rye & whole wheat/gluten balance to create a loaf that would rise a reasonable amount, and be appealing to my children. All three of my children love this one, and come back asking for more.
- Mix whole wheat flour, rye flour, gluten flour & instant potato flakes in a bowl, set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, using flat beater, mix wet ingredients.
- Add yeast flax seeds & salt to liquid ingredients, mix thoroughly.
- Switch to dough hook, and slowly add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time. Allow it to knead each amount of flour into ball before adding more. Once all flour is incorporated, all the dough to continue to knead until the dough is sooth and elastic.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise for 1 1/2 hours in a warm, draft free location.
- Prepare two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch pans by greasing lightly with butter or vegetable shortening.
- When timer goes off, punch down dough and divide into two balls.
- Shape each half into a loaf, and place in prepared pans.
- Cover with plastic wrap & a tea towel, and allow to rise in a warm, draft free area for 1 hour.
- Bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes. Bread will be cooked when it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Turn out of pan & allow to cool before slicing. Place leftovers in plastic bag for storage.