Prep2 hrs 30 mins
This is a recipe that I have adapted so that I can make whole wheat runzas. Please note that you can also use this recipe to make white bread runza dough, just substitute white flour for the whole wheat. Also you can use 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 white flour if you so desire. Use any kind of fillings that you like. My family likes ham and cheese, philly cheese steak, pepperoni pizza, scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon, to name just a few other than the traditional. Use your imagination and tailor to what your family likes. These freeze beautifully after they are baked when individually wrapped. Just microwave from frozen or thawed.
- Add 2 cups of the flour and the yeast to the bowl of your kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook and mix well.
- Heat the milk, sugar, butter and salt to between 115 and 120 degrees.
- Add the warm mixture to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add the eggs and mix for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 a cup of flour at a time mixing after each addition until a ball forms.
- Knead for 8 minutes using the mixer.
- Grease a bowl and add the dough ball.
- Cover and place in a warm spot.
- Allow to rise until double in size. About 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and recover.
- Allow to rise for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into managable sections.
- Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into 4 inch by 4 inch squares.
- Fill with desired fillings.
- Bring the opposite ends together and pinch together. Pinch together the seams so that the filling doesn't leak out.
- Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden.