Prep 7 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Cooking Light
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 4 quarts water
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) packageuncooked whole wheat rotini (corkscrew pasta)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped yellow onions (about 1 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage
- 8 ounces bagged prewashed cut mustard greens
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh pecorino romano cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place 1/2 cup broth in a small saucepan over medium heat; simmer until reduced to 3 tablespoons (about 6 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Combine water and remaining broth in a large Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; stir in pasta.
- Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes or until al dente.
- Drain well; place pasta in a large bowl.
- Keep warm.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove casings from sausage.
- Add sausage to pan; cook 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Stir in greens; cook 2 minutes or until greens wilt.
- Add reduced broth, half-and-half, and cheese.
- Cook 4 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
- Add sausage mixture to pasta, and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately.
This was pretty good with some changes. After following the recipe I found the kale a little strong so I added more garlic and some fresh spinach. Originally we found it a little bland. I also added some oregano. Do not skip the parm here and do use fresh grated. It plays a big part and really adds to the dish!
Great pasta dish! Light and healthy with great flavor. I don't care for onions so left them out, otherwise made as directed. Really enjoyed this easy-to-make and flavorful dish - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2009