1/2 Photos of Whole Wheat Rolls With Currants and Toasted Walnuts
Roxygirl in Colorado's Note:
This recipe was in Ladie's Home Journal (1998) featuring "Daily Breads" (good enough to eat daily). The hearty rolls are dark colored with a nice glossy sheen and are great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Uses a food processor. Dough comes together in about 20 minutes but must allow time for two rises. These remind me of Bagel Energy Bars.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup currants or 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 ounce instant yeast (one package)
- 3/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted and cooled
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups walnut pieces, toasted
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1Combine currants and hot water in glass measuring cup and let stand ten minutes, until currants are plump and water is a light caramel color.
- 2Remove currants with slotted spoon and add enough water to return current liquid to 3/4 cup.
- 3Meanwhile, sprinkle yeast over warm water (this is the other 3/4 cup water, not the reserved current water) in small bowl and let stand until creamy.
- 4Add yeast to reserved currant liquid and stir in honey and butter.
- 5Pulse flours, wheat germ, and salt in a large-capacity food processor.
- 6With machine on, add yeast mixture through feed tube, processing just until mixture comes together.
- 7Process 30 seconds more, until the dough forms a ball.
- 8Add reserved currants and walnuts, pulsing a few times until the walnuts are chopped.
- 9On lightly floured surface knead dough until currants and walnuts are evenly distributed.
- 10Place dough in lightly greased large bowl, turning to grease top.
- 11Cover bowel with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 hour.
- 12Grease a large cookie sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- 13Divide dough into 16 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
- 14Arrange balls about 1 1/2 inches apart in four rows on prepared sheet.
- 15Cover and let rise until almost doubled in bulk, 45 minutes to an hour.
- 16Arrange oven rack to lower third of oven and heat oven to 425 degrees.
- 17Brush roll tops with egg white.
- 18Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- 19Cool on wire rack.
- 20Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 21These rolls freeze very well.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Rolls With Currants and Toasted Walnuts
Serving Size: 1 (1349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.3
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 162.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 6.7 g