Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are a light roll. They contain a large proportion of whole wheat flour, and well as molasses. Good with a pot of stew, or use for roast beef bunwiches.
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 (8 g) package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons hard margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons mild molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour (approximately)
- Stir sugar in warm water in large bowl.
- Sprinkle yeast over top.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir to dissolve yeast.
- Beat in next 5 ingredients in order given.
- Beat on medium for about 2 minutes until smooth.
- Work in enough whole wheat flour until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Turn out onto floured surface.
- Knead 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover with clean tea towel.
- Let stand in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down.
- Cut off egg-sized pieces.
- Shape into buns.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Cover again with tea towel.
- Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake in 350 oven for 15-20 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Makes 18 buns.
Pretty good, but I agree with others who say that they need more sugar. I'll make them again, but I'll add an extra tablespoon of molasses or maybe some honey. I let the whole thing rise over night in the fridge, took them out and punched them down and cut them into rolls about 3 hours before I needed them. Great texture, very pretty, just needed a bit more flavor.
This is my first foray into wheat rolls and I am sooo pleased! These turned out extremely fluffy and light. The times given were right on the money. This is officially my default recipe for wheat rolls. Thank you!
Great recipe! I did make some changes though, I wanted to do away with the white flour all together so I used 4 cups of whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup of gluten. I made 9 six inch sandwich rolls using this recipe and they turned out absolutly delicious! Thank you so much.