Recipe by Lainey39
Very yummy dinner rolls.
Top Review by Annacia
I loved the end result. It was delicious and will make lovely sandwich buns (I made them like smaller hamburger buns). I did have a problem with the flour /liquid amounts. There was too much liquid in my batch. I added another 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour and a generous 1/4 cup of wheat germ before I got a good workable consistency in the dough. I love the low fat, low sugar content. I made a 6 roll amount and used 1 tsp of yeast which worked very well.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons flax seeds (regular or golden)
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour, more flour may be needed
- 1 cup warm skim milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, whisk together the warm water and honey.
- Stir yeast into the water mixture and let stand until foamy, about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 3 T of the flax seeds in a mini-chopper or spice grinder.
- Grind until medium-fine.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add all-purpose flour and whole-wheat flour.
- Whisk to blend, then make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir together milk, olive oil and salt.
- Pour into well of flour mixture, along with yeast mixture.
- Stir until dough comes together.
- Knead until smooth, 5-10 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover with a damp, clean towel and allow to rise 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down, then knead lightly.
- Divide into 16 pieces, then roll each into ball, tucking any seams under.
- Place on a large nonstick baking sheet and cover with damp towel.
- Let rise in warm place for 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Uncover dough, brush rolls with egg white, then sprinkle with remaining 1 T flax seeds.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, until lightly browned and hollow-sounding when tapped lightly.
- Serve warm.