Prep 1 hr 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
My mother introduced this loaf to my family 20 years ago. It was a favorite bread during the holidays and became a favorite at our Bed and Breakfast as the bread in our Creamcheese and Banana Slice French Toast Sandwiches.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour or 3 -3 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup raisins
- melted butter
- Combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour (spooning lightly to measure) the sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and yeast in a large bowl.
- Heat milk, water and oil in a medium size sauce pan until very warm (120 to 130-degrees).
- Pour into dry ingredients.
- Beat mixture with electric mixer on medium speed 4 minutes or until well blended.
- Add whole wheat flour, oats and raisins; beat with a wooden spoon until blended.
- Beat in enough of the remaining white flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a light floured surface.
- Kneed until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, using only enough of the remaining white flour to keep the dough from sticking.
- Place dough into a large buttered bowl; turn to bring buttered side up and cover with a cloth.
- Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, until double in volume, about one hour.
- Grease two loaf pans.
- Punch down dough; divide in half; shape into loaves.
- Place loaves in pans; brush tops with melted butter.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375-degrees for 40 minutes and loaves sound hallow when tapped with fingers.
- Remove from pans to wire rack and brush with butter.
- Let cool.
This recipe is incredible... my daughter ate 1 of three loaves in one day... I do add 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds and 2 large tbsps. high gluten flour (Red Mill) Also if the dough seems too dry I add small handful of warm not hot water. ( I made this with a dough hook in a mixer)
An excellent bread...we made it in the breadmaker.