Recipe by s'kat
I can only imagine that these are better for you than what the pretzel vendors churn out in the malls. ;) I like to enjoy them with garlic-horseradish mustard and a tall, dark beer. Hmmm, suppose then that circumnavigates the whole 'better for you thing'...
Top Review by Rebecca H.
Awesome with a generous amount of sesame seed topping with a bit of coarse salt added....and toasted on the bagel setting the next day...out of this world...a great breakfast cheese bun. Shaped leftover refrigerated dough into a pita and that worked great too!
- 1 (1/16 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- cooking spray or oil
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- sesame seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast, sugar and salt in warm water: let yeast mixture stand 5 minutes, or until foamy.
- Combine flours and cheese in large mixing bowl.
- Add yeast mixture; beat at low speed until well-blended.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth.
- Cut dough into 32 pieces, using kitchen shears dipped in flour, or a floured dough slicer.
- Shape each piece into a ball.
- Roll each ball on a lightly floured surface to form a rope about 14" long.
- Twist each one into a pretzel shape; place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Combine egg white and water; mix well.
- Brush each pretzel with egg white mixture.
- You may also sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake at 425° for 12- 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.