Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
This makes great rolls and scones!!! I lost this recipe for over a year and could not find one that was as light. Now that it is on the web I won't ever loose it again!! It was a bread recipe from the back of a wheat bag but I use it for rolls. Can grease 2 1/2 size cans and use as pans. Fill cans 1/2 full.
- 8 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons yeast, disolved in
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 medium potato, cooked until mealy in 2 c water OR
- 1⁄2 cup instant potato flakes, in 2 c water
- 1 3⁄4 warm water, added to potato water. (Instant or cooked potato)
- Mash or beat potatoes and water until smooth.
- Add 1 3/4 cup water to potato mixture.
- Add yeast, oil, salt and honey.
- Pour this mixture slowly into flour.
- Mix 5 to 7 min with electric mixer. Dough will be soft.
- Let rest 10 to 15 minute on greased surface.
- Punch down and shape into loaves or rolls.
- Let rise until double.
- Bake rolls 20 to 30 minutes at 400.
- Bake loaves of bread 35 to 45 minute.
I was excited to find this recipe as I love making yeast doughs with potatoes in them. It seems to add great flavor and moistness. Since the directions weren't terribly well written, I wondered if was merely an omission that the bread dough isn't given a first rise before shaping into loaves? Using these proportions, the dough is too soft to shape into loaves without a first rise. I would love to hear what anyone else who has tried the recipe did as far as rising?
I made these rolls for Thanksgiving and we all liked them. I think I should have let them raise a little more as they were a tad dense, but with all the baking I was doing, my oven schedule was kind of tight. If you are looking for a 100% whole wheat roll recipe, they are definitely worth a try. Thanks for posting.
Made whole wheat rolls with these and they had a nice flavor. This recipe isn't easy to follow. No mention of the salt or honey in the directions. I think this would be hard for a beginner bread maker to follow (like me!)