Mrs Thompson's Note:
I originally got this recipe from the book "You on a Diet" by Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz. I altered it slightly to use the sugar/yeast amounts and directions from my yeast can because the original recipe didn't work well with the yeast. We use this dough for pizza and calzones. A serving is 1/4 of a pizza, and this recipe makes 4 pizzas. Preparation time includes time for dough to rise.
My Private Note
pizza c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl, dissolve sugar into water. Add yeast and stir. Let sit for 10 minutes in a warm spot for yeast to grow. It should look foamy on top when it is ready.
- 2Meanwhile, mix whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and salt in a large bowl.
- 3After yeast has developed for 10 minutes, add it to the flour mixture and mix. Once it is blended, add the olive oil. Knead for 2 minutes (until oil is fully incorporated). It will probably be quite sticky.
- 4Cover the bowl of dough with a damp towel and leave in a warm place for dough to rise. The dough should approximately double in size (this can take 20-60 minutes).
- 5Turn dough onto floured surface and knead for a couple minutes. If your dough is still sticky, you can incorporate more flour while kneading until it is easy to handle (I usually need to add another tablespoon at least).
- 6Divide dough into 4 balls. each ball will make one pizza (approximately 10 inches, depending how thin you roll it out), or 1 calzone. Dough can be refrigerated for a day or two, or frozen for longer.
- 7Lightly oil pizza pan before putting dough on it. Bake each pizza at 450F for 10-20 minutes (time will vary depending on the amount of toppings). You can pre-bake the crust for a few minutes if you like to keep the crust drier (often a good idea if you use a lot of "wet" ingredients, like fresh pineapple).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 88.4
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 147.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 3.2 g