Prep 1 hr 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got tired of trying to find a whole wheat crust that didn't include white flour. So I decided to come up with one on my own and this is what I got. It taste really good. You can use any seasoning you prefer instead of the pizza herbs.
- 1⁄8 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (110*)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons pizza seasoning (combination of oregano, basil, marjoram, crushed red pepper and garlic powder.)
- In a large bowl put honey into warm water and sprinkle yeast over the top. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir olive oil, salt and seasonings into yeast mixture then slowly add flour until dough starts to form.
- Tip dough onto floured surface, floured with wheat flour, and knead until all flour has been absorbed and a ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Place dough into bowl that has been oiled and turn to coat dough with oil. Cover loosely with a towel and let stand in a warm area free of drafts until doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
- When dough has doubled tip out again and divide dough in half. Take the halves and divide again and again until you end of with eight equal pieces.
- Form each into a tight ball and let rise for about 45 minutes until doubled.
- Roll each ball into a circle with a rolling pin until dough no long stretches. Drape it over both of your fists and gently pull edges outward while rotating crust.
- Place on oiled pizza pan and top with your favorite sauce and toppings. Bake in preheated oven at 425 until edges are brown and crust are done, about 15-20 minutes.
- Uncooked dough can be frozen for future use.