Prep 0 mins
Cook 8 mins
From March 2009 Cooking Light
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 10 ounces bread flour (about 2-1/4 cups)
- 4 3⁄4 ounces white whole wheat flour, divided (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water in large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Add bread flour, 3 ounces (about 3/4 cup) whole-wheat flour, yogurt, oil, and salt to the yeast mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining whole-wheat flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover an let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Position the oven rack on lowest shelf. Preheat the oven to 500.
- Divide dough into 8 portions. Working with one portion at a time, gently roll each into a 5-1/2 inch circle. Place 4 dough circles on each of 2 baking sheets heavily coated with cooking spray. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, at 500 for 8 minutes or until puffed and browned. Cool on a wire rack.
I was just looking to see if anyone had posted this recipe and here it is. These are amazing. They are well worth the time it takes to make them. I will never buy store bought pitas again!