Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this on whole grains council website and customized it to my liking. These are good for you and they are single servings so you can't keep grabbing slice after slice.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 small red onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 cup roasted red pepper (in the jar)
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper (chopped)
- 2 ounces pasta sauce
- 2 ounces ham (capacola or prosciutto work well)
- 2 tablespoons olive spread
- 1⁄2 cup Italian cheese blend
- 1 slice whole wheat pita bread
- Pre-heat oven or toaster oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil over med heat in sauce pan.
- Add next 6 ingredients to hot oil and saute for 5 minutes.
- Spread the sauce on the bread.
- add ham or your choice of meat or omit.
- add olive spread and the sauted items.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, slice and enjoy.