Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great healthy recipe.
- 2 whole wheat pita bread
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut each whole wheat pita bread round horizontally along folded edges, forming 4 rounds total.
- Stack pita rounds on work surface; cut stack into 8 wedges, forming 32 wedges total.
- Place pita wedges in single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake until wedges are crisp and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Stir cumin in small dry skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine garbanzo beans, 3 tablespoons reserved garbanzo bean liquid, lemon juice, oil, garlic, and cumin in processor.
- Puree until smooth, adding more garbanzo bean liquid by tablespoonfuls for desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer dip to bowl.
- (Pita chips and dip can be prepared 4 days ahead. Store chips in resealable plastic bag at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate dip.) Serve dip with pita chips.
Thanks for posting this, it was exactly what I was looking for, I wanted to make some hummus but had no tahini...I didn't have any cumin, so I skipped that step, added an extra clove of garlic. I don't have a real food processor, just an attachment on my blender, so I don't know if that made a difference, I had to use a few more tablespoons of reserved liquid. I found your recipe after making another pita chip recipe so I didn't get to try it your way yet. Thanks meow :-)
Yum! This was good, I doubled the recipe and it came out well, but little too garlic-y. Next time I would use roasted garlic or saute the garlic first. Thanks for a great hummus-like receipe for when I run out of tahini!
This review is for the bean dip only. I made this to spread on my toasted english muffin this morning. I liked it because I could omit the oil for a completely fat free spread. It was easy---and GREAT. Don't forget the salt and pepper which are mentioned in the instructions, but omitted in the ingredient list.