Prep 1 hr 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious whole wheat pitas!
- 1 1⁄8 cups water, warm
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in bread pan of your bread machine, select Dough setting and start. When dough has risen long enough, machine will beep.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently roll and stretch dough into a 12 inch rope. With a sharp knife, divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each into a smooth ball. With a rolling pin, roll each ball into a 6 to 7 inch circle. Set aside on a lightly floured countertop. cover with a towel. Let pitas rise about 30 minutes until slightly puffy.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C). Place 2 or 3 pitas on a wire cake rack. Place cake rack directly on oven rack. Bake pitas 4 to 5 minutes until puffed and tops begin to brown. Remove from oven and immediately place pitas in a sealed brown paper bag or cover them with a damp kitchen towel until soft. Once pitas a softened, either cut in half or split top edge for half or whole pitas. They can be stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for several days or in the freezer for 1 or 2 months.
Easy and yummy. I cooked on a baking stone for around 7 minutes, because that is what I had.
We loved these! So easy and delicious. I used 2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup of white flour. They were great right from the oven and cooled, but were even better warmed up the next day. Will be making them often.
I wanted to post 4 stars for the recipe.