Recipe by Deantini
This recipe calls for both white and whole wheat flour; you can reduce/increase either type of flour to your liking. Prep time does not include up to 3 hour rising time. Pita bread can be stored for up to a week in a pantry or bread box, and up to a month in the freezer. Pita bread dough can also be refrigerated for up to one week in the refrigerator.
Top Review by gailanng
I was like a little factory, cranking out one pita after another. The recipe makes quite a few. In case of an emergency, the extras may be used as a flotation device. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday.
- 591.47 ml warm water (110 degrees)
- 7.39 ml active dry yeast
- 14.79 ml honey
- 473.18 ml wheat flour
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10-15 minutes until water is frothy.
- Combine white flour, wheat flour, and salt in large bowl.
- Make a small depression in the middle of flour and pour yeast water in depression.
- Slowly add warm yeast water, and stir with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until dough becomes elastic.
- You can also do step 1-4 using the knead function in a Kitchen Aid.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes. When the dough is no longer sticky and is smooth and elastic, it has been successfully kneaded.
- Coat large bowl with vegetable oil and place dough in bowl. Turn dough upside down so all of the dough is coated with oil. Allow to sit, covered, in a warm place for about 3 hours OR until it has doubled in size.
- Once doubled, roll out in a rope, and pinch off 10-12 small pieces. Place balls on floured surface. Let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 deg F. and make sure rack is at the very bottom of oven. Be sure to also preheat your baking sheet.
- Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin into circles. Each should be about 5-6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake each circle for 4 minutes until the bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for 2 minutes.
- Remove each pita with a spatula from the baking sheet and add additional pitas for baking.
- Take spatula and gently push down puff. Immediately place in storage bags.