Prep 7 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a wholesome, delicious, and completely satisfying pasta which is impressive but quickly made.
- 1 lb whole wheat penne or 1 lb fusilli
- 1⁄3 pine nuts or 1⁄3 walnut pieces
- 2 cups basil leaves, packed
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, seasoned
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, toast the pine nuts or walnuts about 5-10 minutes, until the nuts become fragrant. Be careful and stir the nuts often, as they can burn quickly.
- In the bowl of a food processer, pulse nuts, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup olive oil until the basil is very finely chopped but not a fine paste. Scrape into a small bowl and add remaining 1/4 cup olive oil.
- In a pot over high heat, bring four quarts water to a rolling boil. Add pasta and return to a boil.
- Cook according to package directions (about eleven minutes) until pasta is al dente.
- Drain in a collander.
- Return to pot and turn off heat.
- Stir in pesto.
- Toss with breadcrumbs.