Recipe by Hannah Verrinder
In this filling, healthful, delicious recipe, butternut squash forms the sauce. Use frozen butternut squash cubes or cube and roast a fresh butternut squash yourself.
- 3 1⁄2 cups butternut squash, cooked until soft
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat penne, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ or 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add penne; cook 10-12 minutes, or until al dente. Drain and return to pot, removed from heat.
- Slice onion. Add to skillet over medium-high heat and sauté for 10 minutes, or until soft and lightly browned.
- Chop garlic; add to onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add onion and butternut squash to penne; stir until butternut squash loses its structure.
- Add olive oil, wheat germ, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Salt and pepper to taste.