Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Vodka adds a spicy, delicious twist to smooth creamy sauce. Whole wheat pasta adds flavor depth to this dish.
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml finely chopped celery
- 118.29 ml finely chopped carrot
- 5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 (1814.36 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 44.37 ml butter
- 236.59 ml vodka
- 118.29 ml heavy whipping cream, at room temperature
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 453.59 g whole wheat penne
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Add basil, tomatoes, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce to low heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Add butter, and remove bay leaves.
- Process sauce in blender or food processor, in batches, until smooth.
- Add vodka to tomato sauce and simmer or low for an additional 30 minutes. Sauce will reduce and thicken. Stir in cream and Parmesan and simmer until cheese is melted and sauce blended.
- Cook pasta to al dente in boiling, salted water. Drain and transfer to large bowl. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and toss. Serve immediately.
Loved it even though I didnt use whole wheat penne. I used spaghetti and added Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs. It tasted very healthy and fresh. This is recipe is definitly a keeper. Thanks for posting KathyP53!
DH wanted to give this seven, but the best I can do is five. This was really yummy! I took Bay Laurel's advice and made it with whole wheat spaghetti and turkey meatballs. I would say this is closer to ten servings which makes the nutrition facts a little less daunting. The only 3 changes I made were: I used dried basil, 1 tbs of olive oil, and added some crushed red pepper. I very seldomly use a recipe for pasta sauce, but I will make this again, again! Thanks!