Vodka adds a spicy, delicious twist to smooth creamy sauce. Whole wheat pasta adds flavor depth to this dish.
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml finely chopped celery
- 118.29 ml finely chopped carrot
- 5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 (1814.36 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 44.37 ml butter
- 236.59 ml vodka
- 118.29 ml heavy whipping cream, at room temperature
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 453.59 g whole wheat penne
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Add basil, tomatoes, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce to low heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Add butter, and remove bay leaves.
- Process sauce in blender or food processor, in batches, until smooth.
- Add vodka to tomato sauce and simmer or low for an additional 30 minutes. Sauce will reduce and thicken. Stir in cream and Parmesan and simmer until cheese is melted and sauce blended.
- Cook pasta to al dente in boiling, salted water. Drain and transfer to large bowl. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and toss. Serve immediately.