Recipe by KathyP53
Vodka adds a spicy, delicious twist to smooth creamy sauce. Whole wheat pasta adds flavor depth to this dish.
Top Review by Bay Laurel
Loved it even though I didnt use whole wheat penne. I used spaghetti and added Recipe #69173. It tasted very healthy and fresh. This is recipe is definitly a keeper. Thanks for posting KathyP53!
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 (32 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup vodka
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Add basil, tomatoes, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce to low heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Add butter, and remove bay leaves.
- Process sauce in blender or food processor, in batches, until smooth.
- Add vodka to tomato sauce and simmer or low for an additional 30 minutes. Sauce will reduce and thicken. Stir in cream and Parmesan and simmer until cheese is melted and sauce blended.
- Cook pasta to al dente in boiling, salted water. Drain and transfer to large bowl. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and toss. Serve immediately.