1/1 Photo of Whole Wheat Penne Pasta With Creamy Vodka Sauce
1 hr 30 mins
Vodka adds a spicy, delicious twist to smooth creamy sauce. Whole wheat pasta adds flavor depth to this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 (32 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Add basil, tomatoes, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce to low heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Add butter, and remove bay leaves.
- 2Process sauce in blender or food processor, in batches, until smooth.
- 3Add vodka to tomato sauce and simmer or low for an additional 30 minutes. Sauce will reduce and thicken. Stir in cream and Parmesan and simmer until cheese is melted and sauce blended.
- 4Cook pasta to al dente in boiling, salted water. Drain and transfer to large bowl. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and toss. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Penne Pasta With Creamy Vodka Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 760.6
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 49.7 mg
- Sodium 844.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 17.6 g