Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cook's Illistrated Recipe posted for safekeeping
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 20 ounces spinach, trimmed, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive, roughly chopped
- 13 1⁄4 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oil and sliced garlic in a 12-inch saute pan over medium high heat.
- Cook stirring and turning frequently until light golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a plate lined with paper towls.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Add onion to pan, cook until starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes and cook stirring constantly until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add half of the spinach to the pan, using tongs toss occasionally until starting to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Add remainin spinach, broth, tomatoes, and 3/4 tsp salt.
- Cover the pan, increase heat to high, and bring to strong simmer, then reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, tossing occasionally until spinach is completely wilted.
- Stir in the beans and the olives.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts of water to boil
- Add spaghetti and 1 tbs salt, cook until pasta is just shy of al dente.
- Drain pasta and return to the pot, add greens misture to pasta, set over medium high heat and toss to combine.
- Cook until pasta absorbs most of the liquid, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup parmesan, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with extra olive oil and parmesan.