I Cook Therefore I Am's Note:
Cook's Illistrated Recipe posted for safekeeping
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 20 ounces spinach, trimmed, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olive, roughly chopped
- 13 1/4 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Heat oil and sliced garlic in a 12-inch saute pan over medium high heat.
- 2Cook stirring and turning frequently until light golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- 3Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a plate lined with paper towls.
- 4Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- 5Add onion to pan, cook until starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes and cook stirring constantly until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 7Add half of the spinach to the pan, using tongs toss occasionally until starting to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- 8Add remainin spinach, broth, tomatoes, and 3/4 tsp salt.
- 9Cover the pan, increase heat to high, and bring to strong simmer, then reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, tossing occasionally until spinach is completely wilted.
- 10Stir in the beans and the olives.
- 11Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts of water to boil
- 12Add spaghetti and 1 tbs salt, cook until pasta is just shy of al dente.
- 13Drain pasta and return to the pot, add greens misture to pasta, set over medium high heat and toss to combine.
- 14Cook until pasta absorbs most of the liquid, about 2 minutes.
- 15Stir in 1 cup parmesan, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 16Serve immediately with extra olive oil and parmesan.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Pasta With Spinach, Beans, and Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 743.2
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 12.4 mg
- Sodium 801.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 36.2 g