Recipe by Chez Desirée
This is a healthy dish made with spicy tomato based sauce and fiber rich whole wheat pasta. The original is from "Fitness Magazine" Jan 07. I adjusted it a bit, mainly adding some Worcestershire and a little brown sugar to deepen the flavour a bit. The original also states to use crushed tomatoes however I really love the texture of the diced tomatoes. I have tried putting this same sauce over polenta and it was delicious too!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup pitted black olives, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup capers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped (optional)
- 10 ounces whole wheat pasta
- parmesan cheese, to sprinkle on top
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan heat oil on medium heat and add garlic.
- Cook until translucent (do not burn).
- Add tomatoes and crushed red pepper and bring to boil then turn down heat.
- Stir in olives, capers, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire and salt and pepper.
- Return to boil and then turn down to low and let simmer for about 30 minutes, uncovered, or until desired consistency is reached.
- In the meantime cook pasta according to your liking.
- If using the thyme and marjoram stir it into the sauce at the end of cook time.
- Spoon sauce over pasta and top with a little Parmesan cheese.