Recipe by MarraMamba
Calling all pepper lovers! This is a great pasta if you love pepper and cheese. Sauces like this which are cooked by the hot pasta and its water are just wonderful. They suggest ensuring the pasta is served piping hot. Quick and Easy, October 07
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 lb dried whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated pecorino romano cheese, divided (4 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast peppercorns in a dry small skillet over medium-high heat, shaking skillet, until fragrant and beginning to pop, 2 to 3 minutes. Coarsely crush peppercorns with a mortar and pestle or wrap in a kitchen towel (not terry cloth) and press with bottom of a heavy skillet.
- Cook spaghetti in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (2 tablespoons salt for 6 quarts water) until al dente.
- Meanwhile, fill a large ceramic bowl with hot water to warm it. Just before pasta is done cooking, drain bowl but do not dry.
- Reserve 1 cup pasta-cooking water, then quickly drain pasta (do not shake off excess water) and add to warm bowl. Sprinkle 1 1/4 cups cheese and 1/2 cup cooking water evenly over pasta and toss quickly. Toss in parsley (if using) and 2 teaspoons crushed pepper. If pasta seems dry, toss with some additional cooking water. Serve pasta immediately, sprinkled with remaining pepper and cheese. Serve additional cheese on the side.