1 hr 15 mins
A steamlined Italian classic from Cook's Illustrated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slice sandwich bread, torn into quarters
- 44.37 ml olive oil, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 7.39 ml salt, divided
- 85.04 g pancetta
- 236.59 ml minced onion
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- 453.59 g kale, rinsed but not dried, thick stems trimmed off, leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 354.88 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 425.24 g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 375.63 g whole wheat spaghetti (weight may vary by brand, you want about 1 pound)
- 113.39 g Fontina cheese, 1 cup grated
- 1Make garlic breadcrumbs: In a food processor, pulse bread until coarsely ground.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon garlic; cook stirring constantly until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Salt to taste and remove to a small bowl.
- 3Wipe out skillet with paper towels. Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until crisp, about 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a small bowl.
- 4Add the onion to the pan and cook until starting to brown, 5 minutes or so. Add remaining garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook another 30 seconds.
- 5Add half the greens to the pan and toss until starting to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add remaining greens and broth and 3/4 tsp salt. Cover (pan will be full) and increase heat to high and bring to a strong boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, tossing occasionally until greens are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 6Stir in the beans and pancetta. and cook until heated through. Cover and remove from heat.
- 7Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot for the pasta. Add salt to taste and the pasta. Cook stirring often, until pasta is just shy of al dente. (refer to package directions).
- 8Drain pasta and return to pot. Add the greens/beans/pancetta mixture to pasta and toss to combine. Cook over medium-high heat until pasta absorbs most of the liquid, about 2 minutes.
- 9Stir in the fontina cheese and serve immediately with garlic breadcrumbs.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Pasta With Greens, Beans and Pancetta
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.3
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 21.9 mg
- Sodium 850.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 25.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: