Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love to find new and interesting vegetarian pasta dishes. The carmelized roasted vegetables in this dish add a really nice depth of flavor. This is a variation of a recipe I saw made on Giada DeLaurentis' "Every Day Italian". I like to try and use whole wheat pasta whenever I can in most of my pasta dishes. Not a BIG fan of zucchini, so I decided to substitute broccoli instead, cuz I LOVE it sooo much!. I also roasted a head of garlic in with the veggies, but that, of course, is optional. The original recipe added the cherry tomatoes in, UNROASTED, at the end. I did not read carefully enough, and roasted them right in the pan with everything else. They ended up being just fine roasted, but you may do either way. I catagorized this recipe under "vegan", but left in the grated cheese in as an option!
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets & stems chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, plus
- more parmesan cheese or romano cheese, for serving
- fresh basil, shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss all the vegetables (minus the cherry tomatoes) with the olive oil, salt, pepper, italian spices, garlic powder and crushed red pepper, if using.
- Arrange the vegetables on 2 large baking sheets, making sure they are in an even layer.
- Bake until carrots are tender, and remaining vegetables begin to brown slightly, and carmelize.
- It is a good idea to lightly toss the vegetables after about 10 minutes of cooking.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in boiling salted water.
- Drain pasta and reserve about 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Toss the pasta and vegetables in a large bowl.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and any of the reserved cooking liquid is pasta seems dry.
- Season again with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese of your choice and fresh basil leaves.
Made this for a low fat meal, and it was really good. I used zucchini, squash, onion, green bell pepper, and carrots (since I hate broccoli). I also cut the recipe back for just 2 of us, so I only used 1/8 cut olive oil, which worked perfectly. I still have roasted veggies left over, so that will become some type of soup later this week. Thanks for a good healthy dinner.
Really enjoyed this one! I didn't have whole wheat pasta so I used an 8oz. box of garlic and parsley angel hair and it was the perfect amount. The only thing I will change next time is to saute some mushrooms and minced garlic to toss in with everything else. Also, you'll definitely want the extra cheese to sprinkle on when serving. Will be making again!