Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Everyday with Rachael Ray. I love arugula!
- 1 lb whole wheat penne rigate or 1 lb gemelli pasta
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- black pepper
- 1 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 4 cups arugula, coarsely chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a ladleful of the cooking water.
- While the pasta is working, in a deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, then the tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and reserved pasta cooking water to the skillet and toss for 1 minute. Add the cheese, then toss in the arugula and cook until wilted, 1 minute longer.
I made this when the recipe came out in the magazine. My husband and I loved it! thanks for posting.