Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A healthy and hearty meal, that can easily be put together the night before serving.
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 lb whole wheat rotini
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Italian cheese blend, shredded
- 1 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 16 ounces pasta sauce (I use sweet tomato basil)
- Slice Zucchini into 1/2 inch thick circles.
- Heat Olive OIl in a skillet
- Gently beat Egg Whites, and take Zucchini slices and coat both sides of them.
- Dip Zucchini slices in Italian Bread Crumbs, and then place in heated oil. Let both sides turn GOLDEN brown. If you want, you can place cooked Zucchini on a paper towl to soak up extra oil.
- Cook Rotini according to package, and let drain.
- Mix the three cheeses together.
- In a greased 6x6 bakinf dish place a layer of Zucchini slices, then layer 1/3 cup of pasta sauce, and layer some of the cheese.
- Place your drained Rotini on top of the zuccini, sauce, and cheese layer, and another 1/3 cup of pasta sauce, then add more cheese.
- Place the rest of the Zucchini, pasta sauce, and cheese.
- Cover with Tin Foil.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove Tin Foil and let bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese turns golden.
Brilliant! I used cheese tortellini and leftover home-made spaghetti sauce that I had frozen. Fabulous.