Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
My momma shared this one with me. I have no idea where she found this recipe, but if anyone else knows, feel free to share! This sauce is also great with a little pancetta (or bacon).
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (no-salt-added, preferred)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper (mixed-up pepper is our favorite, actually!)
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half (she also uses cream or 2% low-fat milk)
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more)
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta
- Melt butter with oil in large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook until almost no liquid remains in pan, stirring frequently about 15-25 minutes. (At this point, start a pot of water for the pasta.).
- Add cream, vodka and red pepper and boil until thickened to sauce consistency, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Sauce may be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Pour sauce over 1 lb cooked whole wheat pasta. Toss well, and serve with Parmesan cheese, if desired.