Recipe by Boomette
From the blog of Two Peas and Their Pods
Top Review by Jujubegirl
Yay, I get to be the first to review this very special recipe! I adore whole-grain, low-sugar cooking, and this does it with such delicious style. There is very little added sugar here, but it doesn't taste that way. The pancakes (of which I made a double batch) are hearty and thick, yet fluffy and sweet. The compote has a tartness with the natural fruit sweetness, and is so good with the pancakes. I'm looking forward to using the compote for various things other than pancakes. So many recipes use a ton of sugar with rhubarb but this does not. Thank you for such a lovely recipe. It's a real keeper!!!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk, plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup rhubarb, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup strawberry, cut into quartered pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, canola oil, egg whites,vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Stir gently with a spatula until combined. Don’t over mix. The batter will be thick.
- Heat a griddle pan or non stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Pour about 1/4 of a cup of pancake batter onto the hot griddle pan, spacing out the pancakes a few inches from each other. When the pancakes start to bubble up, flip and cook until pancakes are lightly browned.
- To make the compote: Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray. Add the rhubarb and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, until rhubarb is soft. Add in the honey, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the strawberries and cook for another two minutes.
- Serve strawberry rhubarb compote over hot pancakes.