Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
I originally enjoyed this tasty breakfast recipe during visits to my grandparents' house. It is super simple and the leftovers taste as good as those right out of the oven . My mom always makes a batch ahead of time and freezes the pancakes with wax paper in between the layers. She warms them in the microwave, I use a toaster oven.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-bran cereal
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 425 and grease a 15x10x1 cake pan.
- Stir together the first five dry ingredients (flour through baking soda).
- In a separate bowl, mix the five wet ingredients (egg to honey).
- Stir the dry mix into the wet ingredients and beat until well blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Cut into 8-10 rectangles and enjoy with your favorite pancake topping.
Really tasty way to use up some of the all-bran in my cabinet. I used fat free buttermilk but otherwise left the recipe alone. This seemed like a whole wheat cake to me. Not very sweet but subtle with a nice flavor. I've frozen some for lunches and hope that works out well.