Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a modified, healthier version of the recipe from from the Fannie Farmer (Boston Cooking School) Cookbook.
- 4 bananas (ripe, blacker is better)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup dark rye flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 1⁄2 ounces raisins
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a loaf pan with Earth Balance (or real butter if desired).
- Chop the pecan halves, reserving 5 halves and set nuts aside. In a large bowl, mix bananas and eggs together until no lumps remain. Mix in sugar, baking soda and salt. (Note: add a dash of nutmeg for some extra spice). Gradually mix in the flax seed and flour individually. Once evenly mixed, stir in nuts and raisins.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle rolled oats evenly on top. Place 5 pecan halves down the middle of the pan (if desired).
- Place pan on the center rack of the oven and bake for 1 hour.