Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a really moist and delicious bread that's quick and easy to make. I got this recipe from my sister.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice (fresh or reconstituted frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Stir until dry particles are moistened, about 75 strokes.
- Pour batter into greased bread pan.
- Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Not recommended for use with self-rising flour.
Very good. Is great toasted with a little honey goat cheese or cream cheese. Not what I expected from a quick bread. The batter is very light and makes more of a heavy yeast bread texture. Made little loaves for freezing and gave some to neighbors who said theirs was lovely with roasted pork.
This was really delicious, bot too sweet, but refreshing because of the orange. I used grated apples (fresh, raw applesauce) instead of the oil to cut some calories. I Also baked them in 4 ramekins and 6 muffin cups because I didn't have a loaf pan. I think 30 minutes was a little too much but it was still good, so adjust accordingly. The topping was a great addition and not overly fattening. Thanks for the great recipe, this is a keeper!
BEAUTIFUL LOAF, easy to prepare, tastiest sweet bread I've found. Will use again and again with orange butter spread. Using for party this afternoon. THANKS FOR A 4 THUMBS UP RECIPE.