Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From http://www.flickr.com/photos/daffodillanepresses/353251559/page2/ Not at all flaky but tender and tasty. Perfect for Quiche!
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Place olive oil in the freezer until it solidifies and is of a consistency similar to thick honey. (I checked it every 30 minutes or so. I'm not sure how long it took. Probably 3 or 4 hours.).
- Once the olive oil solidifies place flour, salt and baking powder into a food processor and pulse a few times to mix. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until a dough ball forms. Place ball in an air tight container or plastic wrap and put in the fridge for an hour or so to chill. (I left it overnight).
- Roll ball out until 1/8 inch thick and put into a pie plate. Use as you would a regular pie crust. I prebaked it before adding the quiche filling.
Loved the Whole Wheat Olive Oil Pie Crust! My crust turned out flaky (but heavy), similar to regular crust made with shortening. I put the olive oil in the freezer till almost solid, and after adding all ingredients, I patted the crust in my pie pan, instead of rolling it out-I didnt want to overwork the dough.