Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a healthier take on a favorite recipe without giving up flavor. Its one of my family's favorite and our 4 year old can't eat enough.
For the topping
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil, plus up to
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, more if needed
For the batter
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Topping: combine whole wheat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and oil in a small bowl and mix together, then set aside.
- Batter: Sift whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat egg until frothy. Beat in sugar and oil until combined. Add milk, sour cream, and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture, mix on low until combined.
- Put 1/2 the batter in a 9x9 - inch greased pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle 1/2 of the topping over batter. Repeat. Bake at 350 degrees in a preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
We had some company over and wanted to do something a little different. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how well this turned out. It has a nice sweet hearty taste, but not the typical over bearing whole wheat flower taste.