Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a variation of the recipe posted by bluenoser.
- 473.18 ml whole wheat flour
- 473.18 ml rolled oats
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 118.29 ml butter
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml sour milk
- 473.18 ml frozen blackberries
- Mix first four ingredients.
- Cut in the shortening and the butter.
- Add baking soda to sour milk. (If you don't have sour milk or buttermilk, add 1 Tbsp of lemon juice to milk to make 1 cup, then let sit until thickened.).
- Mix milk and blackberries into dough.
- Drop onto parchment lined baking sheet. It helps to compress each scone with your hand a bit to make sure that it stays together while baking. You can also freeze unbaked scones at this point.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
very, very good. Awesome recipe.
This recipe was easy to make and made a delicate, tasty and wholesome scone. I used 1/2 cup of canola oil instead of the combined cup of butter and shortening, and it required a little more patting for the scones to stay together in the pan. I also used yogut instead of sour milk. I'm going to try again adding a little cinnamon instead of some of the sugar. Be sure to use parchment or oil the pan because the berries are pretty runny.
i am not a scone expert, i have only made them a couple times before. but this dough was quite a bit more wet than i expected. the end result was light and puffy like a cookie and less scone-y. they were very yummy though and the kids loved them!