1/6 Photos of Whole Wheat Oatmeal Buttermilk Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
Since Canadian flour has more gluten, I use whole wheat bread flour and all purpose white flour, if you reside in the U.S. then use bread flour for the white.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 2 cups white flour (all purpose for Canada and white bread flour if you are in the US)
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1Fit a kneader blade on a heavy-duty stand mixer.
- 2Proof 1 tablespoon yeast in 3/4 cup warm water with 1 teaspoon sugar for 8-10 minutes or until foamy.
- 3In the stainless steel mixing bowl add in 2 cups EACH white and whole wheat bread flour and the rolled oats; mix slightly to combine with a spoon.
- 4In the microwave warm the buttermilk, butter, 3 tablespoons sugar and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt for about 40 seconds until warm (the butter does not have to melt completely) then pour into the stainless steel mixing bowl with the flour.
- 5After the yeast is proofed, add into the bowl along with the 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and start mixing/kneading adding in more WHITE flour as needed to create a soft semi-sticky dough (because of the oatmeal and whole wheat flour the dough will be more sticky than usual).
- 6Knead for 10 minutes.
- 7Remove the dough to a lightly-floured surface; cover with a clean tea towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 8Gather up the dough and knead gently for about 15 seconds with your hands (it will come together nicely).
- 9Generously grease a large bowl with oil.
- 10Place the dough in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a clean tea towel and let rise for about 1 hour and 15 minutes (it might take more or less time depending on the temperature of your kitchen, or place in a warmed oven to rise).
- 11Remove and punch down dough.
- 12Place on a floured surface and roll out to about 14x8 inches (does not have to be exact size!).
- 13Roll up tightly and tuck the sides under to fit the 8x4-inch loaf pan (I just slice off the ends of the dough enough to fit into the pan and pinch the dough together, it makes for a more even loaf).
- 14Cover and let rise for about 30-45 minutes (depending on how warm your kitchen is) in a warm place covered with a clean tea towel.
- 15Bake for about 30 minutes in a 375°F oven.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Oatmeal Buttermilk Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1036 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2388.5
- Calories from Fat 423
- Total Fat 47.0 g
- Saturated Fat 24.9 g
- Cholesterol 101.3 mg
- Sodium 4701.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 432.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 37.1 g
- Sugars 55.4 g
- Protein 72.8 g